Your Most Common Questions Answered by Ewing Electric Co.

Your Most Common Questions Answered by Ewing Electric Co.
by Ewing Electric Co

To say that we depend on electricity is an understatement – you see, nothing will work without it – no internet, no air conditioning nor heating, no lighting, no nothing. Well, not unless you’ve managed to continue living the way our forefathers have done.

Electricity has become one of the basic necessities of modern life, so we know what a huge problem it is when things are not right. So, if you have any problems or concerns about residential or commercial electrical services, don’t hesitate and just reach out to us at Ewing Electric Co.

And to help you out with common questions and problems, we came up with these Q&As.

1. Is it dangerous when a circuit breaker trips?

Occasional circuit breaker trips can happen because the circuit is overloaded. The breaker or fuse is designed to trip or blow in order to prevent the circuit wires from overheating to a dangerous level. But if circuit breaker trips happen frequently, you will need to have your electrical system checked in case a socket, wire or appliance is overheating or has a fault as this can lead to hazards such as a fire.

2. Why is it that some light bulbs burn out faster than they’re supposed to?

If you have good quality light bulbs and some burn out prematurely (way below their lifespan), it could be a problem with your electrical connection, i.e. it causes the lamp or socket to overheat. This has to be assessed and established in order to resolve the issue.

3. If the plug of an outlet is a little loose, does it need to be replaced?

Electrical problems are dangerous to overlook – even if it involves what you think are minor things. Remember, a loose plug can result in high electrical resistance which, in turn, leads to overheating. This can result in fire hazards. It can also damage any connected appliance or device. Getting your electrical outlet repaired or replaced can be done quickly at a relatively small expense.

4. Why do the lights dim when the microwave is turned on?

Whether the light dimming happens when you’re using a hairdryer, microwave oven, or water pump, what you need to do is to get an electrical inspection done ASAP. When this happens, it can be a sign that your electrical system may be inadequate to effectively support your energy demands.

5. Is it okay to DIY electrical wiring installation?

There are places where this is allowed, subject to certain regulations and requirements. However, there are also locations where electrical wiring installation can only be done by certified contractors. To know if you are allowed to do the work yourself, you need to check with the local government officials in your area. However, for your safety and peace of mind, we advise you to have electrical work done by a licensed electrician.

6. What’s a surge protector for?

A surge protector is a device designed to protect an electrical appliance or device from spikes in voltage. By blocking any unwanted voltages above a safe level, it serves to limit the voltage flow to an electrical device or appliance.

If you own a computer, make sure all of your computer equipment is plugged into a good quality surge protector. This will ensure your devices get the protection they need during electricity surges or fluctuations.

Got more questions?

Contact us at Ewing Electric Co.

We’re here to take care of your electrical service needs, including lighting design, installation and repair, electric car charging stations, landscape lighting, equipment repair and hookup, meter base and panel changes, commercial equipment installation, and so much more.